1. Thermal Transfer vs. Direct Thermal: What is the difference? THERMAL TRANSFER: Heat transfers an image from a ribbon onto a label
or tag. This produces images that are CRISP and PERMANENT, on paper or
synthetic labels. Use Thermal Transfer labels when your project requires
labels to last longer than 6 months (up to 20 years in the average retail
or warehouse environment,) or when labels will be exposed to extreme temperatures
for any given period.
*All of Ulines offered printers can print thermal transfer except for the H-1932 and H-2550 and H-5271.
DIRECT THERMAL: Heat from the printer is what creates images on
direct thermal labels (no ribbon is necessary). Direct thermal labels
are specially treated so that an image will appear when heat is applied.
This is more of a TEMPORARY, LESS-CRISP image designed for shipping labels
or labels that will only need to be in use for 6 months or less. Direct
thermal labels may show surface scratches with too much handling, and
will fade or yellow upon exposure to sunlight, heat or age.
*All of Uline's printers can print direct thermal labels.
2. How many labels will you be printing? 100 - 500 labels per day - a DESKTOP printer is recommended: (H-2550 or H-2526) 500 - 1,500 labels per day - a light duty industrial printer, is recommended: H-4029 1,500 - 3,000 labels per day - a heavier duty industrial printer is recommended: H-5149 3,000 - 5,000 labels per day - the heaviest duty industrial printer is recommended: H-2525
3. Software: Barcode printers need software to create labels. Programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel, and most other Windows-based programs can be used to design labels. The H-2527 Bartender software package is a more comprehensive program that Uline offers for label design.
A few features of the software: Contains over 100 templates, including standard labels, compliance labels and shipping labels.
Easy wizard-driven design help.
Capable of accessing information from standard window-based databases.
Please request a demo disk of H-2527 Bartender (good for 30 days) to determine if this software fits your needs.
4. Interface: What connection do you have available
on your PC system?
Sends an 8-bit information stream to the printer
Sends data to the printer one bit at a time
Plug and play
Technology for local area networks (LANs)
*See individual printer for interface type available
5. Resolution: Resolution refers to the standard of the image printed.
This depends on how many dots per inch (dpi) the printhead can print. All standard
Uline printers are 203 dpi. This is an industry standard resolution for barcode printers.
If higher resolution is required, see H-3991, H-5120, H-1152, H-5150 or call for a quote.
6. Memory: There are two types of memory: RAM and Flash. 1. RAM (short-term memory):
This is the necessary memory that "absorbs" the label image
from the PC and quickly downloads the label image from the computer. This
enables the PC to move on to other tasks. The larger the label, the more
RAM necessary. 2. Flash (long-term memory):
Flash memory permanently stores information on the printer such as commonly
used label formats or fonts. All Uline printers include flash memory.
7. Label Size: All Uline printers have a maximum print width
of 4.09". Minimum print widths vary between 1 and 1.5, depending
on the model. If printing on a wider or narrower label is needed, please
call for quote.
8. Ribbon Size: The ribbon width must be wider than the label
9. Additional Options: All the Uline printers are available with or without
special options. Some available options include: CUTTER:
Printer will cut between each label and drop them into a tray. (H-5151) LABEL PEEL:
(Also referred to as "peel off") Backing paper is automatically
peeled away from the back of the label. The printer will print a label,
peel the backing and present it, one at a time. Industrial printers (such
as the H-5149) can rewind the backing paper onto a core inside
the printer with the rewind option below. REWIND:
INTERNAL- Industrial printers will rewind labels back onto a core inside
the printer, (up to a 5-6" diameter.) This option is also designed
to be used with the label peel option above to take up the backing paper
neatly onto a roll. (H-5152 and H-1155)
EXTERNAL- Unit outside printer will rewind labels onto a core. This can
be used to rewind entire rolls of labels, up to an 8" outside diameter. 300 DPI:H-5120 and H-1152 industrial printers have a 300 DPI printhead. Replacement printheads are also available, see section 10 below. MISC OPTIONS:
Network cards/adapters (10-baseT, 10-Base2), printers with additional
memory, Twinax or coax (for AS/400 or IBM system connectivity), additional cables (printers only include a parallel).
10. Replacement Printheads: Replacement printheads are available for all of the desktop and industrial printers which Uline offers.